Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Paleo Chocolates

In November My husband and I celebrated our 19th anniversary.  During this time frame I was at the strictest part of this diet.  The total heal your gut stage.  My husband hadn't quiet join the diet yet.    While I was upstairs he looked up a recipe for Paleo Chocolates and he made me the most delicious treat.  It was nice to have some form of a desert for our anniversary celebration.  But the sugar content was high enough that I was only able to eat 3 small pieces of this heavenly concoction.
I soon came to realize that my taste buds had changed enough that I didn't need that much sweetness to enjoy foods anymore.

So I changed the recipe.  I started adding less honey.  The result was a rich dark chocolate that I was able to eat more of.  Yum! 

To make this recipe you will need:

1/2 Cup Coconut oil
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 TBS Raw Honey
10-15 drops of peppermint oil

Heat the pan on a burner.  Remove hot pan from the burner and add the coconut oil.  Allow Coconut oil to melt. Add honey.   If the honey does not dissolve you may need to put in on the burner for a minute, but I prefer not to have to heat the coconut oil if at all avoidable. Add cocoa powder Stir.  Add peppermint oil.  Leave pot on the counter and allow time to cool (about 15-20 min).  The honey likes to separate from the chocolates so stir.  start adding the liquid to molds.  Stirring ever so often to avoid getting a chocolate with no sweetener.  (it isn't too yummy without honey)  Another option is to line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and dump all the concoction onto the parchment paper.  Place in freezer until it has hardened.   These need to be stored in the freezer.  

In this recipe there is 1 Tbs of honey.  1 Tbs = 3 tsp.  So you can eat a 1/3 of the chocolates made a day to equal the sugar limit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment